The title of this recipe involves some of our favorite words: gluten free, cheese, quick & bread! This recipe comes from Carol Fenster’s new cookbook Gluten Free Cooking For Two, which is perfect for one and two-person households. Be sure to check out one of our other favorites by Carol, 100 Best Quick Gluten-Free Recipes.
- ½ cup Carol’s Gluten-Free Flour Blend (see below)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, buttery spread or coconut oil, melted & slightly cooled
- ½ cup (2 ounces) coarsely shredded or diced cheddar cheese, or Daiya cheddar-style shreds
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or soy Parmesan
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Generously grease a 3¼ x 5¾ inch nonstick loaf pan (gray, not black).
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour blend, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, and onion powder until well blended. Add the egg and butter and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until well blended, about 30 seconds. Gently stir in the cheddar and 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan. The dough will be somewhat stiff.
- Spread the batter evenly in the pan and smooth the top with a wet spatula. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan on top.
- Bake, rotating the pan halfway through baking, until the top is browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. If necessary, cover with foil after 15 minutes of baking to prevent over-browning. Cool the bread 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Remove the bread from the pan and cool for 20 minutes on the rack. Serve slightly warm.
Makes 4 slices (one 3¼ x 5¾-inch loaf). Per slice: 185 calories; 6g protein; 9g total fat; 1g fiber; 19g carbohydrates; 65mg cholesterol; 308mg sodium
Carol’s Gluten-Free Flour Blend
- 1 ½ cups brown rice flour (or sorghum flour)
- 1 ½ cups potato starch
- 1 cup tapioca flour
Whisk together until thoroughly blended. Store, tightly covered, in a dark, dry place for up to 3 months.