We’re kicking off Celiac Awareness Month with our top resources for gluten-free eaters. A GF lifestyle isn’t always the easiest, but don’t fear! Follow the tips below to become a savvy gluten-free eater.
1. Use technology– Nowadays you can search for anything with the click of a button… even gluten-free friendly restaurants. Download the free Find Me Gluten Free app or browse the website to find safe places to eat wherever you are!
2. Follow a gluten-free blog– Blogs are a great place to find recipes, read articles, and get some much needed support and advice. Some of our favorites include Gluten Free on a Shoestring, Gluten Free Girl and the Chef and Elana’s Pantry.
3. Attend a gluten-free expo– Imagine a place where you can sample hundreds of gluten-free products, meet your favorite brands, attend classes, and be surrounded by people just like you! The Gluten Free & Allergen Friendly Expo (presented by Udi’s & Glutino) is just the place, and it travels to seven cities a year.
Get excited Chicago…the next GFAF Expo will take place at the Schaumburg Convention Center May 14-15. Get 20% off tickets here.
The remaining 2016 Expo dates include:
- Schaumburg, IL May 14-15
- Worcester, MA July 23-24
- Dallas, TX Sept. 10-11
- Secaucus, NJ Oct. 15-16
- Phoenix, AZ Nov. 12-13
Visit www.gfafexpo.com for more information.
4. Learn how to read labels– Let’s be honest… deciphering a long list of ingredients can be tricky. This Label Reading Guide breaks down exactly what to look for on labels and reveals some alternate names for gluten.
5. Invest in gluten-free cookbooks– Everyone loves trying new recipes! Take the guesswork out of cooking by investing in a few gluten-free cookbooks. Some books we recommend are The How Can It Be Gluten-Free Cookbook, 100 Best Quick Gluten-Free Recipes and Gluten Free Makeovers.
6. Join a support group– Connect with folks who understand your lifestyle by joining a local or national support group. The Gluten Intolerance Group, Celiac Support Association and Celiac Disease Foundation are all great options.